Saturday, November 15, 2014

Angelina Letter Trouble, Out of the Woods

What do they say, "90% perspiration, 10% inspiration". The perspiration was flying this week.
Everyone has their cafe in Paris. Mine is Angelina though I mostly browse. At least once a week I stop in for a look. Such a beautiful space. The exquisite pastries are inspiring.
When I go it's for breakfast before 9 am. The lines for tea time are daunting.
I decided November is perfect for chestnuts (marrons), Mont Blancs and of course Angelina.
One look at the histoire section of Angelina and it was a coup de foudre (love at 1st sight).
Why not draw Angelina for the November sketch letter art?
Why not include Coco Chanel and Marcel Proust, frequent Angelina habituées? Chanel always sat at table #10.
Let the drawing begin!
Many, many drawings later of Proust, Karl, Audrey, Pharrell, Katy, Taylor and Mont Blancs.
I began to tear out my hair. I'd bitten off more than I could chew.
A visit to Les Borgia exhibit at the Maillol museum to study crowd scenes near Angelina 108, rue du Bac was required.
Still, things were not falling into place.
The Mont Blancs were no problem. I ate quite a few to get the color right naturally. It was all those figures driving me nutz.
My theme song these past weeks: Taylor Wood's new OUT OF THE WOODS.
Are we out of the woods yet?
Are we out of the woods yet?
Are we out of the woods yet?
Are we out of the woods?
Are we in the clear yet?
Are we in the clear yet?
Are we in the clear yet?
Are we in the clear yet Girl?
Finally I got it.
Thanks to an airbrush teacher's best lesson,
"The fastest, easiest way is the best way"
I went back to the room photograph (near the top). Traced it.
Replaced the figures with celebrity sketches. Et voila.
Probably TMI (too much information), but THIS IS HOW WE DO(another theme song from Katy Perry that got me through. Especially the line
"IT'S NO BIG DEAL!"
A small dance for joy when the artwork was finished.
My reward? My own Angelina cup and saucer.
But no time for Champagne yet.
Envelopes must be filled, stamped, sealed, mailed out.
You can see the finished results over on ETSY.
Let me know what you think?
Did I do OK?

36 comments:

  1. I love it. It will be framed and sitting next to my Angelina dishes for my family to see Thanksgiving. A lot of hard work, but it is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your drawings Carol, the work-ups. And the finished product is gorgeous! A lot of work, but it was worth it!
    (I love the manhole cover, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annabelle1:19 AM

    Love seeing all the preparatory sketches that go into the final art.
    How you think

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Nov issue looks wonderful. Anyway you can get the famous hot chocolate recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't give away their secret potion and who can blame them.
      A whole lot of cream and chocolate is my guess.
      You can buy their chocolate mix though.

      Delete
  5. If I order the six months subscription now will I begin with the Angelina letter? It is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill Postcards from Philly1:26 AM

    WOW; a real beauty!
    I knew you could pull it off.
    Such a fun piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work, Loved seeing how you do it. Thanks for giving away your tricks of the trade.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of your best posts yet! You really showed the process and how music does get us through our challenges! The finished product does have an eclectic group of patrons! Félicitations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where would I be without POP music?
      that includes the French stuff and hiphop

      Delete
  9. How did you do? You excelled yourself, Carol. Looks fabulous! Although, has to be said, why reward yourself with an Angelina hot chocolate when you make just as good at home? Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the Angelina cup and saucer Silly.
      But I should try their powder shouldn't I?

      Delete
  10. I have not heard TS's song..what's wrong with me..Love all your artwork:) All.
    Your stamp collection! It's growing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you please send me a Mont Blanc with my November Paris Letter? It's my favorite. Thank you for sharing your creative process. So much work, but what a lovely finish! Looking forward to receiving my letter. I will probably frame it and place it next to my little coffee bar in the breakfast nook to remind me of my trips to Angelina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think/hope I did.
      It's on an Angelina postcard.
      Is that Ok?

      Delete
  12. NormaJean1:52 PM

    LOVE seeing your process.....you are so TALENTED!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TS's new record, 1989 is just ONE week old.
      Major hit for her
      yay

      Delete
  13. Karrally1:56 PM

    list for my next trip.

    Merci de tous que vous faites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you go for breakfast, you're in the clear.

      Delete
  14. Just saw the result on ETSY and I love it Carol ! You completely nailed it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. kalissa2:13 PM

    My morning coffee and I are swept away from beautiful California to Paris Breakfast. It is such a sweet treat! I love your work, your art and you devotion to sharing your Passion for Paris with me. Merci from a baker in San Diego,

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! Really, really terrific stuff. I love how you explained the travails of creation ¡

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous3:01 PM

    Yes, you did "OK!" Better than OK. I like your style very much. Why don't I take up my sketching and watercoloring again? I don't know. I should.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never made it to Angelina but think I must go on my next trip.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahh! I love that song by Taylor Swift!! Have you watched her newest video for Blank Space???? It's so great!!! Merci mille fois!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. I bot it too.
      Katy, Taylor, One Direction, Sam Smith
      Pop queen for a day.

      Delete
  20. Beautiful work, as usual. I love how you accomplished the architecture -- that's 10x more challenging than faces! When I look at this oneth's treasure, I hear "Begin Again".

    Taylor Swift's "Begin Again" viddie is a must see: it's set in Paris (Place Dauphine, Square du Vert-Galant, etc.) and it even has pastries.

    Taylor is a Swift from my neck of the woods in Pennsylvania -- the Philadelphia suburbs. I've often wondered if we were cousins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorgeous! I didn't know...

      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cMPEd8m79Hw
      THANKS!!

      Delete
  21. Perfection! And I loved seeing all the sweat and tears that go into looking "effortless"...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kathryn1:54 PM

    Thank you for the window in to your process with Angelina. I am humbled by how involved and difficult I find just the beginnings for water color. Many of us are in beginner's bliss, where the slightest resemblance of the subject brings oohs and aahs from our instructor. We boldly brush forward, but so ignorant of all it takes. I think it is important to have the true challenges of producing art revealed to the romantically inclined. The hard work first, the romance later; a process shared by music and I suppose most things. I'm looking forward to the arrival of Angelina! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  23. Learning it can be from anywhere , including from this blog I can get inspiration .

    ReplyDelete
  24. So sweet. Absolutely gorgeous idea and execution.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love when you explain your creative process

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you