Thursday, June 06, 2013

Paris Tokyo cantine

Hier soir/last night I went to an opening...
Have you ever wanted to look into the dome of department store BHV like this girl? 
Just go up to the 5th floor for Japanese tapas in their new cantine. The views are great!
Economi yaki omlettes with those wood shavings on top = delish!
 
And my absolute favorite little egg custards in mini cups with a big shrimp inside...what's the name of this? I know you'll know it. I haven't had this since Japan...so hard to find in NYC...
Of course the Sake was flowing thanks to Sakeologist M.Toshiro Kuroda. they broke open a special cask right then and there with a  smashing of mallets on the lid...
I loved the decorative fan designs around the casks...
Which reminded me of this Pub Art exhibit at musee des arts decorative.
Everyone was dancing happily from the sake too
This girl was appropriately 'dressed' with tattoos of TOTORO on her back.
 
Paper-thin omelettes were made on the spot. There will be a Manga bar and lecons in drawing manga cartoons with Kaori Yoshikawa later on...TBA
Desserts of course c/o master pastry chef Sadaharu Aoki.
 

We tasted perfect bite-sized pieces of these 6-layered delights. Plus an ice cream chaser of mango and vanilla I forgot to upload...how could I forget the ice cream(by Pedone)!? And green Sencha tea from the divine Thes Jigetsudo. Tea ceremony classes too at the cantine.
What to wear to the new cantine on the 5th? Just pick something out of BHV's vitrine of course!

21 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:25 AM

    Hello! It's "okonomiyaki" (the omelette) and the egg custard is called "chawan mushi" (chow-wan mooshee). Everything looks like it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, Tokyo, my love!!! J'adore this city!! Everything is sooo pretty, sofisticated,classy. Hope I will go back there again.
    Cam I ask you a question about Parisiennes, Madam Carol? I understand they usually use some fancy purses, but what do they have in their hands when they go shopping? I don't mean the paper or plastic bags they get from shops, but do they use any fancy shoppers? Cannot imagine a chic Parisienne with a bold plastic "french-mart" bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hum...no I don't think they use granny wheelie things but if they did, they'd make it look good

      Delete
  3. Wood shavings - sawdust gone uptown? ;-)

    This looks all so tempting and fun, merci for sharing it, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it's not wood shavings but a tad like that and ads a nice texture.my Japanese ingredients have emptied out of my head...

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okonomiyaki

      Delete
    2. The "wood shavings" are Bonito, dried fish flakes. Sprinkle liberally on hot deep-fried tofu and watch 'em wave about like tiny anemones. (I'm easily amused!)

      Delete
    3. Thank you rach3!
      Exactement and trés delish texture wise

      Delete
    4. But they become ANIMATED!

      Delete
  4. Interesting!
    Qulle vie tu as!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love chawan mushi too. I was very keen to eat Japanese food in Paris last time- we were right on Rue St Anne, but DH had quaint notions of eating French food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol that evening must have been so enjoyable...everything that you've shown us is elegant and unusual. Well, unusual to me! I imagine that this cantine is going to be very popular...wonder how it will handle daily crowds. Hoping it can retain the special atmosphere at lunch time.

    Your fashion mannequin shows that Keds are still going strong in Paris!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds fun, Carol. My aunt/uncle and cousin lived in Osaka and Yokohama, Japan for many years. I'm always interested in things Japanese...

    ReplyDelete
  8. J'aurais aimé etre là! Tout a été merveilleux!

    ReplyDelete
  9. here's the link further to your sara midda post:

    http://mlleparadis.blogspot.com/2011/07/monday-bites-taste-of-provence.html#comment-form

    i blogged about this quite old (already!) book beautifully done by leslie forbes in 2011.

    of course i bought it at the strand!

    chawanmushi! bring it on - so simple yet so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:58 PM

    Lived in Aix en Provence for 2 summers oh so long ago! Drink a citron pressé for me on the Cours Mirabeau! As always, green with envy... A beautiful shade of green however... As I live the dream in Oklahoma. Cyndy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my!
      Why didn't you tell me what to wear?
      Hahaha black was not the right thing to wear here...
      And sooo hot
      Still mustn't grumble
      Guess I've forgotten what sunshine is like...

      Delete
  11. I love BHV and I love Japanese so I would have been in seventh heaven! That was only five or six blocks from Jerry's and when I saw the dome I knew that if I could just make it that far (and up five flights -- or four, I guess, francais) I would be able to chill. However, sometimes I'd stop at BHV to chill just because! What a splendid time. Your painting is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes BHV is my cafe/rest stop etc. too
      I just wish they hadn't moved the art supplies upstairs...so fun to browse

      Delete
  12. That post made me hungry :)
    Great sketch & photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Completely foreign! I must brush up on my Japanese goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous10:09 PM

    How nice! I really like okomomiyaki and chawan mushi. I recommend a tasty and reasonable japanese restaurant, WAKABA in Paris. Please try it at lunch time.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you