Thursday, January 24, 2013

Django Reinhardt

Wednesday January 16 Django Reinhardt expo
I was enticed by posters in the Metro for the La Cite de la Music-Django Reinhardt so why not go?
Feeling adventurous in Paris is easy when you have the monthly carte Navigo - just hop on and hop off like a gypsy...
'Born in the back of a caravan into a family of performers, Django Reinhardt (1910-1953) might have grown up in the slums of the “Zone”, but he belongs to the aristocracy of swing'.
Jean Cocteau described Django as this "child of the breeze"
His jazz music were the classics of the 20's and 30's. And 40's too. Just listen to 'Blues' and you'll get the rift.
The exhibit was crowded for a cold Wednesday afternoon. The rooms were darkened like a jazz club with booths for listening and headphones everywhere to get into the swing of things.
Endless posters of Django - He was an attractive guy. He suited the graphic style of the times - sharp, angular, almost abstract and wonderful to draw.
Lots of tables that looked like juke boxes were filled with dance programs and all sorts of memorabilia. Django played with the best - Coleman Hawkins, Duke Ellington, Dizzy, Benny Carter and of course his partner for many years, Stephan Grappelli. Together they changed the sound of the times ever evolving creatively.


A neighborhood dog looks like hes waiting outside Django's caravan. Later on Reinhardt returned to the gypsy life of his childhood but his music is eternal. 
Listen to Nuages. 
I'll see you in my dreams...

22 comments:

  1. On one of my visits, I took a photo of a street named after Reinhardt. I thought that was very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post on a fantastic guitarist! Hot Club de France must have been so great to see and listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:12 PM

    Love the music clips
    Very atmospheric exhibit capturing an innovative time for la Jazz Hot
    Meurice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:22 PM

    From Susan
    Do you ever rest? I'm tired just reading your blog every day...

    Sounds like you're having a blast in Paris...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:39 PM

      I can post fewer days if you want...mustn't wear you out after all!
      Parisbreakfast

      Delete
    2. Patricia M3:57 PM

      No! Your posts are the bright spot in my in box! You are appreciated!

      Delete
  5. It seems like everyday is just like another day in the office !! & fun. Hope the cold is not getting to you ? But I'm sure you will be warding that off with Chocolate chaud hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man. I wish I was born in a gypsy wagon. Some people just have all the luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patricia M3:56 PM

    As fascinating as Django is - I am even more faascinated with how it is that all of the dogs I see hanging around Paris, do so with out being on leashes. As if the dogs themselves are just more civilized. How do the French achieve this with their dogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very observant Patricia M
      I too have seen lots of dogs offleash in Paris. I guess they know who butters their bread and like to stick close since the butter is sensational here.

      Delete
  8. I am such a Django Reinhart fan. He's my clean-the-house background music. Did you ever see Woody Allen's "Sweet and Lowdown"? Your daily drawings are just knocking me out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:53 PM

      What a brill idea Connie! He could make cleaning a joy. Going to get some Django on iTunes!
      Parisbreakfast

      Delete
  9. Music was such a big part of my family growing up. My Dad was so into Jazz. His family was into music, not just listening but playing too as we were. Fun seeing this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you did better than I did. After two photos I got told off. Enjoyed the exhibition though.

    Try Atelier du Charonne on Rue de Charonne. They plat Gypsy jazz every evening.

    Love Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know who could see, it was so darn dark in there..
      But discretion is the better part of valor whatever that means...

      Wear black
      Carry a small black camera
      Hold the program up as a sheild
      And have eyes in the back of your head for the guards.

      Delete
  11. Child of the breeze...what a wonderful description.

    Django's playing continues to charm us so many years after he played. Perhaps that breeze is still on the go.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the education, he's a new celebrity to me.
    I love the artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:50 PM

    I saw this exhibit last fall. Be sure to be on the look out for appearances by Django's grandson, David Reinhardt. He's around 25 or so and looks very much like his grandfather. I heard him on rue des Lombards back when he was around 20 yrs. old with his small group.He's a real talent who appears frequently in Paris. The exhibit might have had some info. on his appearances.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous12:48 AM

    I love your blog and especially your watercolors and drawings! I look forward to it and have sent it out to all my Paris loving friends. Thank you so much for bringing Paris into my home and making me crave Macaroons and all things French!
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Between NY and Paris you DO get to go to all the most fabulous exhibits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:43 PM

      Much more FAB studd here IMHO !!!
      Much more
      Parisbreakfast

      Delete
  16. Anonymous3:42 PM

    Django is one of Tony' s favorites. Thanks, K

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you