Monday, January 10, 2011

l'Hôtel Drouot

l'Hôtel DrouotToday's post I visited one of Paris’ main auction houses.
I'm taking you to Hotel Drouot for a grand tour of one of their exhibition rooms.l'Hôtel Drouot Full of everything chef-related and restaurant-related.On the AirFrance flight over I happened to notice a tiny column on an exhibit of Henri Marquet sketches taking place at Drouot in Le Figaro and I thought why not?l'Hôtel Drouot Little did I know I would walk into floors of amazing exhibits of all manner of objects. Including a Mickey Mouse/Disney collection, antique furniture and jewels of course, Art Deco travel memorabilia, plus a glorious huge collection of cooking/chef materials.l'Hôtel Drouot Hotel Drouot is Paris' main auction house since 1852 consisting of 16 exhibit halls. The exhibits change all the time and are free to enter.
If you want a tiny chef cat waving a spoon you've come to the right place.
Though you will have to return for the auction and take your chances winning this prize cat.
Artworks all chef related.
l'Hôtel Drouot Are you mad for jellied eels in aspic?
You're in the right place.
l'Hôtel Drouot A mini fore/stove outfitted with mini copper molds?
Absolutement parfait!
l'Hôtel Drouot The joy is you can touch and examine all items. And photograph too.
It's expected - no one will say a word.
l'Hôtel Drouot Never mind that from the outside of Hotel Drouot does not look inviting or convivial. Once inside it really is one of the best exhibit halls in Paris. Details of forthcoming auctions are published in the weekly Gazette de l'Hôtel Drouot, sold at newsstands and by subscription.
9, rue Drouot 75009
Metro:Drouot-Richelieu
l'Hôtel DrouotBEAR 🐻  was moaning couldn't we please stay on for the Teddy Bear expo? Pas possible cheri..dommage.
BONJOUR HOTEL DROUOT!

15 comments:

  1. Great post! In particular, thanks for noting locations that allow photograph taking. Please let us know of others.

    Merci!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a really neat place! Hope you're feeling better, Carol. We're getting ready to be hit by another big snow/ice here in NC, so I'm staying toasty--don't want to get sick. Love the photos here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, that looks like a storybook!
    I would have been very tempted by that little stove, copper pots included. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justine12:38 PM

    Love these comedia del arte style chef figures - they really come alive.
    So chefs have always been stars!
    Nothing new

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've mentioned one of my favorite places in Paris! Our Hotel Drouot Tour happens to be one of the most popular we've got! Going, going gone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool place to go visit. I want that Chef carrying the platter.. that is too cool. I thought of you this morning as my hubby was chopping veggies for another pot of our soup. I'm not sure if he likes the soup or the chopping more. :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonjour Carol ~
    I will put this on my list of places to visit in Paris!
    xoxo, B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Talk about not judging a book by its cover - nothing about that building's exterior suggests the fab collection of "stuff" inside!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos just keep getting better and better, expecially your close ups! The lighting is terrific.
    I love the exhibit - the figures and the posters - very unusual, but pleasing just the same!
    I hope that your cold goes away - and the hotel is right out of Soviet chic :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos. Oh my I miss Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  11. reminds me of Christie's in NYC where you can see great museum merchandise for free! please check out my blog for the town and country article on paris pastry...I gave a nod to your blog!! have a great day!!

    http://www.nycstylelittlecannoli.com/2011/01/pastry-tour-of-paris-via-town-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carol, hoping that you will soon be feeling so much better.

    Meanwhile, this is yet another of your posts that just makes me wonder how much longer must I wait before I actually do travel to Paris again. Got to be this year!

    Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Frances, there are treasures waiting at any auction house for you. Though Drouot was exceptional on that particular day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely post. Definitely will check out next visit.

    So funny that you mention pumpkin soup, it is my obsession right now to replicate the one I had at the Spotted Pig (in W. Village) recently - it has farro and bacon in it and tastes like stuffing. I loved it and I thought I was sick of squashes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow, you really do find the coolest stuff. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you