Monday, November 17, 2008

How Much is that Macaron in the Window?

Piece Montee,watercolor, 9" x 711"

My obsessions is la porte-etiquette - little price signs on the pastry counters and scattered in shop windows.
I always include them in a photo. You can dream all you want about Paris, but it's nice to know what things cost. These little signposts tell you it's OK to walze in a Paris patisserie and buy something. The same does not apply to Cartiers or Hermes. Some signs will give you more information than the price. Ingredients and whathave you. Sometimes you wish there was less. TMIGateaux names can be quite poetic, or not. Dalloyau calls this cake "Mogador". Can it be a reference to an island in Essaouira bay in Morocco? It remains a mystery. Do tell if you know the answer.I'd rather shop for macarons in Paris than shoes any day. Reading the hand-written signs is part of the fun. Plus your mathematic skills become quite enhanced in the process. Who knew?I hope you all learned your lessons well when we touched on this subject earlier. Fauchon has their own rules of pricing - they make it up as they go along. Granted Fauchon is so creative they can get away with a lot. Who hasn't heard of 'New Math'? Gerard Mulot is using 'new math' with these vertical macarons sold by the meter. Get out your rulers please.In addition (no pun intended) Mulot lets us know in the window the price for his towering cones of macarons. Try not to fall out of your chair gasping and screaming.This macaron tower is quite cheap, though I didn't buy it. No time. 48 hours is required to order this charmer. All for the paltry sum of 41. Granted it will not feed a ballroom full of hungry wedding guests.
BONNES REVES des MACARONS!

18 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:56 AM

    I can never get enough of your macarons, painted or shot.
    YUM & merci!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bons Reves des Macarons.....Cauchemar maybe.

    I cannot find any in Calgary! I will have to make them myself. No other option after reading your Blog for the last few weeks.....

    Or....Move to France!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:58 AM

    i can never get tired of macaron towers. lovely carol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:27 AM

    Oh yum!!!!
    Gorgeous!
    Soft and delicious looking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your tower of macarons. You should have posted the price tag of your lovely painting, just to go with your theme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back home, Carol! Good to see your beautiful paintings again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:29 AM

    Mogador?
    That's a famous theatre in 9e. If that Dalloyau shop on the picture is the one by Galeries Lafayette, in 9e too... that may be the answer.
    The theatre was first named
    "Théâtre ..." (??? ...can't remember)and was turned into Mogador later on (after the Morroccan town)
    M-Noëlle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:55 PM

    Greetings from Moscow!

    On the first weekend of November I've been to Vienna and imagine my surprise and delight when on the main tourist walking street, Kärntner Straße, I saw piles of Macarons in a shop window!
    And the first thing I thought about was you and your ♥ for macarons.
    And of course I couldn’t help having this yummy photographed to share it with you.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ang911/3025366979/sizes/o/in/set-72157608682593064/
    Have a nice week full of delicious things!

    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:54 PM

    It's very comforting to know that Laduree macaron tower is within reach of my pocketbook.
    It's an obsession that has taken up too much of my spare time and now I know I can rest easy and start putting my centimes in a safe place.
    Most kind to let us in onthese inside details!

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:31 PM

    Macarons by the meter?
    An intriguing idea.
    Could we get a macaron each time we grow an inch?
    Whether it be vertically or horizontally? The macs would definitely have a growth factor worth considering.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please trade places with me for just one day. Agh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my God!!!! I want a macaron , NOW!!!!! Macarons au mètre, what a great idea!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:49 PM

    Afraid the warning about falling out of my chair came too late....who can afford these towers????

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous10:02 PM

    Hi Carol;
    I think the "Mogador" they are referring to is the famous French courtesan - Celeste Venard - whose dancing was was so "inspiring" it is said she made her reputation in a single night by how she danced the polka in a crowded dance hall. That must be an awesome dessert!!! BTW -The Book of the Courtesans by Susan Griffin - (where I learned about Mogador)is a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous4:54 AM

    C'est exquis !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous4:57 AM

    Yum -

    and such delightful colours:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Macarons rather than shoes??? What do you wear on your feet pray tell.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thiago Pigatto9:17 AM

    OMG!
    do you like macarons?
    I JUST LOOOVE IT.
    And I either love Paris, how wonderful city. It's kind a different place and not everybody understand it. Its easy to say: I love Paris! but just a bit part of the people can understand what's the REAL meaning of " loving Paris ". Well I spoke a lot, I have to quit doing it, acctualy I always speak a lot, hahaha(it wasn't funny). So, see you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you