Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Let Them Eat Fauchon Tartes...

There's something very democratic about French patisseries and salons de the.

You can waltz in. Buy just ONE cookie (i.e. a macaron) or tarte.And not be thrown out or ignored or snubbed.

And that one macaron or eclair won't break the bank either.
Look at these beautiful petit fours.They ARE petite! Still you can have just as much fun with one of these as with a whole gateau (cake).
And choosing is a big part of the fun too.
If you go into a tea salon in Paris, you can feel like Marie-Antoinette for an afternoon. The lovely china, the attentive service, the beautiful desserts.
All the stuff of fine memories or souvenirs as the French say.
We have Marcel Proust's Madeleine in Remembrances Of Things Past to thank for reminding us of
the importance of nostalgia and food. Perhaps that why it's hard for me to let go of Fauchon. I have many memories of looking at their beautiful food, pretending I was in Paris, with just a hop on the N train...
"...And soon, mechanically, weary after a dull day with the prospect of a depressing morrow, I raised to my lips a spoonful of the tea in which I had soaked a morsel of the cake. No sooner had the warm liquid, and the crumbs with it, touched my palate than a shudder ran through my whole body, and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary changes that were taking place…at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory…"

16 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:52 AM

    Not everyone can go in there without getting thrown out...

    Thanks for another gorgeous painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:28 AM

    wow! yummy yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want those pistachio eclairs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone has to go through a grieving process, yours seems much more fun than most. Gorgeous painting today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:34 AM

    The painting you sent to Anita is one of my favorites you've done.It shows how much you loved the gift she gave you.
    I looked at those petit fours and thought.. no problem picking one out to buy, the Chocolate of course..but my eyes can't seem to get past the Lemon. Oh dear.. choosing ONE wouldn't be easy me thinks.
    Cris in OR

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am hungry now.

    (sigh)

    I just love visiting here -
    so sumptuous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:11 PM

    everytime I read your posts my tummy grumbles and my hips expand! Gorgeous photos and watercolour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:21 PM

    According to the New York Times this morning, Fauchon will re-open in the area...they closed because of something having to do with the building they were located in. Love your site
    Merci beaucoup!!!
    LondonNow

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not been here in so long !

    Forgive me... ?

    And I missed so MUCH.

    I LOVE Your Blog.

    And crying about Fauchon's closing...

    WHAT are those colorful cookies I always see in french magazines ? The round ones that come in all the beautiful colors ? I see in your bottom picture you had a box of them...are they macaroons ?

    Well anyway...BEAUTIFUL BLOG here....BEAUTIFUL WATERCOLORS.

    It is all so inspiring.
    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I come here for my sugar fix.

    And for eye candy as well.

    Good job, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another stunning eulogy....I can do with just one of these yummy treats!!!
    Both paintings are stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all your Fauchon post...those cakes are so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous11:05 AM

    Just love your painting of "tarte au citron." The shadows and reflections are marvellous but most of all I love your enthusiasm for things. It makes me appreciate things I just take for granted. I can't remember - but I assume that the Fauchon in Paris is not closing down. I hope not, because in June I intend to visit and take my grandson there for tea and dessert along with visits to Angelina and Ladure. I will be thinking of you then, for sure. Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carol,
    Thank you again for the gorgeous watercolor - I will keep baking and you keep painting the delicious pastries that brought us together in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You do realise I have to saty away from your blog because of all the food pictures! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous3:05 AM

    Je découvre votre univers et vos aquarelles plus belles et appétissantes les unes que les autres... Je reviendrai souvent !!!

    Thank you for all of your beautiful paintings...

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you